SESC Experience Excellence
2022-2023 EKU-SESC Superintendents of the Year “Experience Excellence” Award
The Eastern Kentucky University – Southeast South-Central Educational Cooperative Superintendents of the Year “Experience Excellence” Award recognizes and honors superintendents of SESC-member districts for their contributions to public education and investment in the Commonwealth’s children and future.
Nominations are now being accepted for the prestigious inaugural awards. Any superintendent of a SESC-member district may be nominated (self-nominations are also accepted). Completed nominations must be submitted by December 16, 2022.
EKU-SESC “Experience Excellence” awards will be presented annually through a competitive selection process based on a superintendent’s identified talent and vision in the areas of instructional leadership, communication, professionalism, and community involvement. Superintendents of the Year “Experience Excellence” award recipients demonstrate through their practices and leadership that knowledge advances student success; they incorporate innovative thinking and bold action into their vision; and their transformational leadership style embraces guiding values of inclusion and trust.
Any superintendent of a SESC-member district may be nominated or may self-nominate in recognition of the outstanding leadership of actively engaged superintendents.
Each nominee is evaluated on the following criteria:
- Instructional Leadership – creativity in meeting the needs of students in his or her school system.
- Communication – strength in both personal and organizational communication.
- Professionalism – constant improvement of administrative knowledge and skills, while providing professional development opportunities and inspiration to other education professionals.
- Community Involvement – active participation in local community activities and an understanding of regional, state, and national issues.
- EKU-SESC Superintendents of the Year “Experience Excellence” award recipients will be selected based on the criteria and timeline listed above.
- A selection panel including leaders in education and the community will select three (3) EKU-SESC Superintendents of the Year “Experience Excellence” award recipients.
Recognizing the EKU-SESC Superintendents of the Year
- EKU-SESC Superintendents of the Year “Experience Excellence” award recipients will be announced in February during the CKEC monthly board meeting. Award recipients will also be announced at an upcoming meeting of their local school board.
- EKU-SESC Superintendents of the Year “Experience Excellence” award recipients receive a display-worthy recognition from EKU. Additionally, a single, one-time $1,000 scholarship is awarded to a high school senior in each recipient’s district.
EKU-SESC Superintendents of the Year Timeline
- December 16, 2022 Deadline for nominations to be received online
- By January 20, 2023 Selection panel meets to determine award recipients
- February 9, 2023 Announce and recognize EKU-SESC Superintendents of the Year award recipients at the SESC monthly board meeting
- Spring 2023 (TBD) District Recognition at the local school board monthly meeting